WHO WE ARE
Friends of Battlefield Park Foundation, Inc. (FOBF) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that understands the role city parks play in increasing community engagement, improving health and wellness, and reducing crime. FOBF was established to preserve the resources at Battlefield Park and the Dorothy Vest Tennis Center by restoring and preserving the history of the park; creating a safe and beautiful park environment; and increasing community engagement through collaboration and cooperation with the Battlefield community, city leaders, law enforcement, community partners, and other stakeholders.
Our mission is to use the collective energy, efforts, and talents of the people who use and love historic Battlefield Park and the Dorothy Vest Tennis Center to revitalize and restore the park and the surrounding Battlefield neighborhood to provide for a safe and healthy community and promote economic growth, historic preservation, green spaces, recreation, and quality of life in the community.
OUR MASTER PLAN
Our vision is for Battlefield Park to become a recognized historic site that preserves and protects the Civil War battlefield's surviving system of earthenworks and civil rights stories, while stepping into the future with state-of-the art athletic facilities capable of hosting USTA tournaments and other sporting events, and creating family-friendly community spaces such as playgrounds, picnic areas, a splash pad, community/club house for events and more for use and enjoyment for all.
Read more here about the growth of tennis in public municipal parks and the USTA Southern Task Force's efforts in expanding play in public parks where diversity and inclusion can thrive.
We are grateful for our partners that include the City of Jackson, Parks and Recreation, Ace to Deuce Community Tennis Association, Jackson Police Department, Mississippi Tennis Association, Jackson Public School District, and Veterans Administration.
HISTORY OF BATTLEFIELD PARK
Battlefield Park is the oldest and largest park in the City of Jackson. Civil War Battles were fought at the site and the surrounding area on May 14 and July 9-17, 1863. The earthworks constitute the most tangible remains of the extensive fortifications that were erected around the city during the Civil War. For more details, visit Battle of Jackson, MS.
The City of Jackson annexed the area in 1925 and established Battlefield Park on 54 acres in 1927. The city preserves two acres of the battlefield. Other portions of the park are used for sports and recreation.
In 1963, City of Jackson officials responded to court-ordered desegregation of public facilities by closing and filling in the park's public, municipal swimming pool, rather than integrating it.
In June of 1975, the city the city opened a new pool at the park, open to all.
Battlefield Park currently features a number of sports and recreation opportunities that include baseball/softball fields, tennis courts, soccer field, basketball, swimming pool, picnic areas, pavilion, children's playground, community center and clubhouse, greenspace, and paved walking trail. It is ADA accessible.